Aid & Attendance - New 2018 Rates + VA Accreditation

Aid & Attendance (A&A)

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension.  Aid and Attendance monies increase the pension amount, therefore people not eligible for a basic pension because their income is high, may be eligible for pension at the increased rates. 

 The United States Department of Veterans Affairs has published the 2018 Aid and Attendance Rates; rates were effective 12/1/2017.  They are:

Category Monthly Maximum A&A
 Married Veteran Couple  $2,903.00
 Married Veteran  $2,169.00
 Single Veteran  $1,830.00
 Surviving Spouse  $1,176.00

The Aid & Attendance (A&A) increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment
  • You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment
  • You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity
  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less.

When searching for organizations to help you apply for Aid & Attendance, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers the following guidance: 

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is authorized to recognize organizations and accredit individuals for the purpose of assisting claimants in the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims for VA benefits. Only VA-recognized organizations and VA-accredited individuals may provide this assistance to claimants. A complete list of VA-recognized organizations and VA-accredited individuals can be found at the VA website -

Click here to find the many other veterans resources listed on our site. 

Consumer support / Veterans
The Front Page

See the sections inside …


Keep in touch with what’s happening in California about assisted living and RCFE legislation and related items.